Just a warning, this will be a long update with alot of information. Isaiah had many appointments in October. We were at the doctors (CHOP) every week for various checkups. I will start with the praises, and end with our prayer requests.
1. Thank you to those who prayed for Isaiah when he was really sick. It lasted for about 6 days (from 10/14-10/20). On the 20th, he finally woke up without a fever, but slept all day. He was a tired little dude!
2. Praise the Lord---the hole (PFO) in Isaiah's heart has officially closed! It was confirmed on Oct. 14th by Dr. Boris. Cardiology has signed off Isaiah's case. It is wonderful not to have to worry about the health of his little heart anymore.
3. Isaiah passed his eyesight test---he has a slight abnormality in the optic disks, but nothing that should affect his eyesight. We go back to see the ophthalmologist when he is 3-4 years old.
4. Another one of Isaiah's genetic tests, Zic 3, came back negative. We are still waiting on the results for Cystic Fibrosis and Fanconi's syndrome.
5. Angelina Coleman, one of the babies we have been praying for, is going back to Florida in about two weeks (after being up here for over 1 year). Her family leaves to go back on Nov. 12th. Pray as Angelina is medivaced to a local hospital in FL, and for her family as they learn to maintain her ventilator and trach. The family's hope is for her to eventually go home someday soon. Angelina still has to become stronger after her double lung transplant.
1. Isaiah failed his hearing test. He is not hearing in the lower decibels. We go to see and ENT specialist, Dr. Germiller, on Nov. 16th at CHOP Main. Josiah will also be seeing the specialist for multiple ear infections to determine whether or not he needs tubes.
2. Isaiah also failed to put on enough weight for the CHOP swallowing/feeding team. There is a very large discrepancy between his length and weight. He is below the 5th percentile. They feel he has mild wasting (loss of muscle tissue), and if he doesn't eat approximately 30 ounces a day, he may end up with a feeding tube. They feel he is not taking in enough nutrients to sustain new muscle and tissue growth. Isaiah is improving with eating baby food, about a jar a day, but that is still not enough to gain weight. Please pray that he miraculously gains weight by the next visit(December10th). Another issue could be his reflux is worsening and that is why he is not eating well. The team will be addressing that as well on Dec. 10th. Also, pray for me as it's hard to constantly fight over every meal and bottle. It would be nice for Isaiah just to eat nicely without a struggle.
3. Please pray for a family who just had their first baby last Friday, and the baby was diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension after he was born up at Lehigh Valley Hospital. The baby was treated with a catheterization and placed on a ventilator. This was supposed to be the treatment that would help him recover and become stronger within a few days. The baby a couple day ago took a drastic negative turn and they flew him down to CHOP b/c Lehigh couldn't stabilize him. As they were getting ready to load him onto the chopper he coded (Cardiac Arrest). They were able to revive him, but it is touch and go. The baby's name is Christopher Michael, and the parents are Michael and Taneka Oldham.
PLEASE lift this baby and family up in prayer and for healing and super grace for them at this time! They had no idea at birth that any of this would lay before them. Taneka hasn't even held him yet!!!! I will update you as I know more.
1. Isaiah's next surgery is scheduled for April. It will be pretty extensive as they create a thumb out of the index finger on his right hand. He will be casted and splinted for 6 weeks, and then have extensive therapy. It'll be a long recovery.
2. SAVE THE DATE!!!!!!!!! February 20, 2010 (Saturday)--It will be Isaiah's 1st birthday! Everyone, and we mean EVERYONE, is invited to share in this joyous occasion! Isaiah is here because of everyone's prayers. We want everyone to come and meet Isaiah and we would like to meet those we haven't met yet. We will share more info as the date becomes closer---We do know the birthday party will be held at Bethel Baptist Church, in the Timothy Center. Please Come!!!!
3. REMEMBER THE FUNDRAISER FOR ISAIAH!!!!!!!!! If you meant to participate and haven't yet, here is a friendly reminder. It ends November 30th. Please check out Mike Landis' website for the information, http://mikelandisblog.com/?p=2937, or contact him directly by phone 267-328-7457 or through his email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
4. Chris and I are looking for several individuals to help us out through the fall/winter months. We would like to have help with the boys on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights so Chris and I can go to church occasionally together. Both Josiah and Isaiah keep getting really sick every time we go out in public. We are desperately trying to keep them healthy. A couple of our wonderful neighbors have been helping us right now, but we don't want to tire them out!)
Thank you all for continuing to uplift us in prayer, for the encouraging letter and emails, and for the financial help. We seriously could not get through all of this with Isaiah without your support and love. It is so true what the Bible says about family/friends, "Two are better than one; because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiates 4:9,10,12 Thank you for being our 'friends'! We love you!