Saturday, September 29, 2012


Hello Everyone,

I would like to share with you something I feel passionate about and feel something needs to be done.  What I'm about to share with you not only affects my family and puts us in a bad spot, but also affects many of our friends who also have children with disabilities.  Just when we thought we could start moving forward to try to get out of debt, we now have new unexpected expenses.

The PA Department of Public Welfare (PADPW) just imposed copays on all services for children and people with disabilities if you are over the poverty level.  Isaiah currently receives medical assistance for his nursing, medical supplies, medications, therapies, etc.  For most families, Medical Assistance kicks in after the family's primary insurance pays their part.

These new copays can add up rather quickly for children dealing with disabilities.  The PADPW did put a cap on the max amount each family can be charged each month.  However, it is set to 5% of the families monthly income, which adds up to a few hundred dollars (a car payment) each month that these families now have to pay.  This does not take into consideration the fact that these same families already pay for Insurance Premiums from each paycheck for their primary insurance.  The purpose of Medical Assistance is to help families dealing with disabilities cover the medical costs that are not covered by their primary insurance.   Now the government wants these families to pay more to help balance the state budget.

Please help us push back to get this bill over-turned.  There are other ways to balance the budget without hurting families that are already dealing with added expenses and stressful situations.

The links below are Letter Templates you can use to send to the Governor and your Local Senator and Representative.

PA Senator

PA Representative

PA Governor

Once you click on the link, a new window will open showing you the template.
Click on "File" and then "Download" and save it to your desktop. 
Add your name and address and change your local Representative and Senator.
Print, Sign and Mail.

If you need to look up your Local Representative or Senator, please use the following link.

Thank you for helping us fight back as we continue to try to protect our family as well as other families dealing with children with special needs.

Chris Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment